Monday, February 8, 2010

A fel ddechrau*

*And so it begins...
Often I start a blog with that phrase. Too much of an unhealthy obsession with the Sci-Fi series "Babylon 5" I guess.
But it's apt. I like it, and I've never seen it in Welsh before. Now having seen it there, I'd really like to hear Ambassador Kosh say it. Most of his statements were unfathomable anyway so that would be prefect for him.
But I'm getting way off the point here.
Research. That's the point.
The place to start if you're looking for inspirational pictures of the Welsh slate industry for a model railway is Dave Sallery's excellent Penmorfa. Pages and pages of pictures of the remains of the slate industry in North Wales and more besides. Everyone needs to view Penmorfa.
Next on my list is Subterranean Brittanica. Prinicpally devoted to underground structures it's surprising how many are rail served. Mines are also covered in great detail. Subrit is highly addictive and should come with some kind of warning.
Another couple of sites I'm using to research Cwm Lwch are aditnow and mine-explorer.co.uk both are basically forums for mine explorers but they have a huge photo gallery covering all their expeditions.
Those four sites have more than enough to keep me going to start with.
p.s. I'm going to keep going with the titles for my blog posts in Welsh for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment