Friday, March 5, 2010

*Cawn arweiniedig ar gerdded

* I got carried away...
I did, totally and utterly carried away. I was meant to be making some test pieces to demonstrate basboard construction for tomorrows Micro layout workshop. Pieces to show that most any lightweight material can be used as a baseboard if you brace it and protect it well enough. Just test pieces mind, and I ended up making the baseboard for Cwm Lwch. It's 14.25" x 32" for no other reason than I think that is the size that will work. It's made from 1" thick white expanded polystyrene foam a material that everyone tells you isn't suitable for a model railway baseboard. Well, Hitsu was built on white foam, Gonou was too. I have a half finished underground armaments depot layout built on the stuff too so I know it works.

Here underneath you can see the bracing I used to hold the surface flat and level. I think it will work fine for the Cwm Lwch baseboard.
Like I say, it's flat, level and phenomenally light. For those of you who would be concerned about the lightweight polystyrene getting banged about in transit. Well, once the layout gets to a stage where it would be exhibited, it would get boxed up in its own self contained wooden cabinet for protection.
Now, I suppose I still need some demonstration pieces for tommorow as it is...

p.s. I was preparing my materials for this aftenoons workshop just now, and I took a close look at the baseboard now that the Loctite powergrab foamboard adhesive has set fully and I have to say that now the baseboard is extremely rigid.

No comments:

Post a Comment